Samoa Qualifications Authority
Pulega o Fa'ailoga ma Tusi Pasi Taualoa a Samoa
The Samoa Qualifications Framework:
1. The Samoa Qualifications Framework is a classification structure indicating the levels and types of quality assured qualifications.
2. The Samoa Qualifications Framework:
3. The SQF is responsive to and accommodates a diversity of individual, academic and workplace needs.
4. The SQF recognises regional and local differences, without losing transparency at the national level.
5. It is robust and flexible and improves understanding and acceptance of all qualifications through reinforcing dialogue within providers, between providers and with employers and other relevant stakeholders.
6. The SQF has the following structure
Registration of Qualifications on the SQF
7. The SQF is structured to allow the greatest level of flexibility for people and providers of PSET. For example, a qualification or program at level III may include components of qualifications from higher or lower levels, according to guidelines set out in the qualification description. Higher level qualifications may include components from levels higher or lower, subject to the qualification definition guidelines. The SQF is also structured to provide people with pathways through and between work and further study.
8. Characteristics of the SQF:
a. Ten levels comprising of:
1. Four Levels of Certificates [Level I to IV];
2. Two Levels of Diplomas [Level V and VI];
3. Bachelor degrees, Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates at Level VII;
4. Bachelor degrees with Honor’s, Post Graduate Certificates, and Post Graduate Diplomas at Level VIII;
5. Master’s Degree at Level IX;
6. Doctoral and Post-Doctoral degrees at Level X
b. Each level is characterized by level descriptors that define the qualification in terms of knowledge, skills and application of knowledge and skill.
c. Each qualification is also defined in terms of its purpose, outcomes, credit value, components, and in the case of levels 7-10, entry criteria and relationship to
d. Qualifications components at higher or lower levels can be incorporated into qualifications according to guidelines set in the credit point description of each
• Every qualification to be registered on the SQF must meet all the Criteria for Qualification Registration.
• For every Samoa Qualification, the individual NCS will also be recorded on the SQF. Individual NCS do not stand alone on the SQF- they are recorded as part of a Samoa Qualification.
• Prior to the registration onto the SQF of qualifications at levels VII and above, SQA may consult relevant overseas institutions to establish the international academic and professional credibility of the proposed qualification.
• Individual courses and other components of Provider or Organisation Qualifications cannot be registered on the SQF. The SQF recognizes complete qualifications only, whilst recording the components of Samoa Qualifications. A summary of Provider/Organization Qualifications component details may be recorded on the SQF where the Provider agrees to this and where the information is presented in a format approved by SQA.
• All qualifications registered on the SQF are recorded in the Quality Assured Qualifications Register. In the case of National Qualifications, the NCS that comprise that qualification are also recorded in the Quality Assured Qualifications Register.
Samoa Qualifications Authority - TATTE BUILDING Level 2 - Designed by IT Team SQA 2017